Official How To “Fix” Damaged Hair Post!
I receive so many messages just related on how to fix damage done by bleach and other products/heat, so I guess it’s time to make an official post.
I’d like to start off with the fact that once the damage is done, there is no going back. Yes treatments and conditioning can help your hair look/feel better, but it well not reach the state it was before unless you let it grow out naturally. Treatments and conditioning will also take a few weeks to take affect, so don’t expect your hair to magically turn beautiful.
Signs of Damaged Hair:
- Breakage, dry, brittle, split ends!
- Hair loss - especially during washing
- Takes a very long time to dry
- Develops a weird smell after washing
If you notice these issues with your hair it may have been caused by:
- Heat usage (straighteners, blowdryers, etc.)
- Bleaching or excessive dying
- Environmental problems (change in climate,water etc.)
Steps to Take
- The usage of heat on a daily basis. It is NOT good for your hair. It may seem all nice when it’s straight, but it’s really just damaged ugly and frizzy, so stop.
- Wait a while until the next time you bleach/dye your hair. You are literally killing your hair if you continue this. Don’t expect your hair to get any longer or better if you don’t stop.
- Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet.
- Don’t use a lot of shampoo, especially all over your hair. Shampoo is for the scalp and can cause even more damage to your actual hair due to chemicals.
- Use natural methods, such as braiding, to style your hair.
- Let your hair air dry!!!
- USE CONDITIONER! Yes, it is important to use conditioner. Leave the conditioner in for at least 3 minutes before you wash it out.
- COMB your hair with a wide tooth comb, and only when your hair is damp/almost dry.
- Trim your hair every month, even if its just the tiniest bit. Sit in the window/ preferably somewhere with a lot of sunshine, and cut off those nasty split ends!
Treatments & Products
Something that shows a significate difference in hair is HOT OIL TREATMENTS - and you can easily DIY!
- Quick and Easy : You may use olive oil (my personal favorite), coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil and plenty more! Just heat two tablespoons of the oil and apply it all over your hair. Some also apply the hair, and then apply a very hot cloth over their head to heat it up. Others even blow-dry the oil on their head. Either one works.
- Advanced Treatment : For more of an advanced or precise treatments visit CRUNCHY BETTY and read their article on how to creating a hot oil treatment.
- Hot oil treatments not only improve the look of your hair, but leave your hair much healthier. It can aid in the growth of your hair as well.
OTHER PRODUCTS TO MAKE YOUR HAIR LOOK/FEEL BETTER:
- Leave in conditioners! They work like magic!
- Frizz Serum ~ improves the look of damaged hair all the way.
if you have any other advice or something to add to this post, please send a message!